Monday, August 3, 2015

5 Step BBQ Rabbit


Step 1 – Marinade. What you marinade your rabbits in is your choice. I mixed a half can of beer, 1 cup orange juice, 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, 2 thinly sliced cloves of garlic and about ¼ chopped green onions. I mix it and let it sit in the fridge overnight. The orange juice helps break down the tissue, tenderizing the meat for grilling, while the beer and Worcestershire adds great flavoring so salts can be left out.


Step 2 – Grill. I put my rabbits on the grill whole to begin with. With only 1 out of 2 pilots lit on the grill, I let the rabbits cook on low, turning every 5 minutes or so, for about 40 minutes, until they were nearly cooked all the way through. 

Step 3 – Cut up and section the rabbit. Here is a picture of what it looks like after it’s done. Many people cut up the rabbits before they cook them. I like to let the outside get crispy before I cut it up. The grill also burns off any leftover fur or fuzz, so I don’t bother to remove the skin.





Step 4 – Add sauce and grill until cooked. This takes 10-20 minutes; depending on how well cook the rabbits were when you took them off the grill. Normally I make my own sauce from ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce and beef broth, but I got a great deal on bottle bbq sauce at the store recently. It was really good. I put the meat on our Yoshi grill mat on the grill before adding the sauce. Make sure you keep a close eye on the rabbit and the grill is on low or the sauce can burn and make your rabbit taste scorched.






Step 5 – Enjoy the fruits of your hard work! Everyone loved the grilled rabbit. It also went great with the grilled squash, onions, tomatoes and peppers that came from our backyard. An entire meal grown and raised on our backyard farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment